Every student on earth heard the word “essay” but not every student knows what it means. In fact, most of them accomplish writing assignments without actually being aware of the definition of essay. This is not such a big deal, although for better writing skills and, eventually, for better results, one has to be aware of what he is dealing with. Theory goes first and if you are good at theory, the practical part will be much easier to cope with. There are many different definitions that various professors and writers have given to such kind of writing as essay. The most common is the following: essay is a piece of writing that enlightens a certain issue from the perspective of the author and is usually accomplished by students within their academic career. From this definition, we can learn that essays are a popular assignment in high schools, colleges and universities.
In fact, essay is a means of unravelling a wide range of student's talents. While accomplishing assignment, young people train, develop and improve not only their writing skills, but also analyzing, researching, reading and many other skills. These are all the skills that will certainly be helpful and useful for you in your future life. But how to develop all of them? How to deal with writing if all you know about essay is actually the definition of essay? This is where we can help you. We will give you a number of helpful writing tips and guidelines that you can use when writing your essay. But most importantly, we are happy to offer you our professional writing assistance. It includes a wide range of services, which are writing an essay from scratch, proofreading and editing your paper, providing you with well-written essay examples and ready-made papers. If you are concerned about your success at studies, you are welcome to contact us any time and get all the needed support right away. Our professional writers are looking forward to helping you in the moment of need.
The most popular types of essay
All kinds of writing assignments such as essays have much in common, for there are certain basic principles and requirements to follow when writing them. However, different types of essay have their own specificities and unique features that you should know before beginning your writing. All of them have a different purpose and, eventually, different strategies and techniques to achieve that purpose. Here, we want to let you know the four main types of essay:
- Expository essay. When dealing with this kind of writing, the author should give an explanation of a certain event, idea, concept or any other phenomenon from their personal perspective. This can be achieve through providing examples, comparing techniques, definitions and so on.
- Descriptive essay. Just like you might have understood from the way it sounds, this essay serves to provide a description of something. Since it is very much like creative writing, you are allowed to use figurative language and not restrict your artistic freedom.
- Narrative essay. Although this type of essay has nothing to do with fiction, it still serves to tell a certain story. The only difference with fiction writing here is that you have to tell a real story that had place in real life.
- Persuasive essay. When writing this type of essay, the aim of the author should be to persuade his potential readers to agree with his personal point of view in regard to that or another issue. To cope with it, you have to learn several persuasive techniques and be educated enough on the discussed issue in order to build and develop profound arguments.
The essentials of expository essay
Now that you know a bit about every type of essay, let us figure out step by step what every one of them requires you to do. To start with, we will discuss the expository type and here are its core qualities and characteristics:
- A very specific thesis. You have to begin with establishing a thesis statement. It can be in a form of the question of your research or a goal of the essay in general. When writing the rest of your paper, you have to ensure that every sentence contributes to answering the question you provided in the thesis.
- Proofs and evidences. This is an inevitable part of expository essay writing that serves for you to prove the rightness of your idea.
- Listing facts should be supported with proper examples. Whatever it is that you are explaining, a good example will help your reader better imagine what you are talking about.
- Keep it narrow. No repetition or long sentences will help you achieve your goal. Instead, make every your sentence to the point and state only that facts that help you reach your goal.
The essentials of persuasive writing
This one freaks out many students. While the general definition of essay says that you have to write in a quite persuasive manner, when dealing with this type, your persuasive skills should be really on fire. The thing is, we often find it hard to persuade people in our everyday life concerning simple matters, so it seems nearly impossible to do that on paper with a few paragraphs. But let us give you a few tips how to make it:
- Have a very clear point of view.
- Engage the reader into the reading process. In other words, catch up the reader's attention from the very beginning and keep him interested through the whole reading.
- Make your reasons strong and loud. Step by step, you have to build your arguments on sound reasoning.
- Provide evidences. Otherwise, how are you going to prove that you are right?
- Know your potential audience and keep it in mind when writing. You have to pretend as if you were having a dialogue with your reader. This will help you develop connection and therefore, make it easier to convince.
- Be an expert in the discussed issue. If you think you are not an expert enough, pretend to be. Your confidence is the ultimate requirement to persuade the reader. If you are not confident about what you are saying, how are you expecting your reader to believe you?
- Be passionate. This is important from a psychological perspective. When the author is passionate about what he is talking about, readers tend to believe him easier.
- Conclusion will be the last thing for your reader to remember. Therefore, make it strong. Just restating the thesis statement or summarizing is not enough, you have to motivate, provoke, inspire or make any other positive impact on the reader. Keep in mind that last impression is sometimes even more important than the first one.
The essentials of descriptive essay writing
This type of writing is characterized by the necessity of appealing to the senses of people. Considering that, you have to do the following:
- Tell. The first thing is stating the root of your story using simple facts.
- Show. In order to show, you have to use your skills in figurative writing and create in your potential reader's mind a clear picture of the described object, event etc.
- If you describe people, begin with showing their appearance first and then, proceed to telling about their inner world.
- Use comparisons, parallels, metaphors and other available techniques of fiction writing. This is what helps writers with their novels, where a major part is always describing something.
How to write a good narrative essay
Finally, we got to the narrative type of essay writing. Although you won't find it in the definition of essay, the main feature of this type is that you have to use your personal experience. You are actually expected to build an argument and draw a conclusion regarding something on the basis of your personal real life experience. These are the main things to remember about narrative writing:
- Be clear. Clarity will bring you success when it comes to narrative writing. That is, avoid complex terms and expressions and instead, make your language simple, narrow and understandable.
- Don't go into too much details. Details are good but try not to overuse them.
- Since your essay should be built upon your personal experience, you don't have to use a second-person. At the same time, you can write in any tense you want. Although the events had place in past, you can still use the present tense.
- The key technique to immerse your readers into the story is to speak in a passionate, dynamic manner.
- Keep your own writing style. This is something that really attracts readers. We all seek for the writers who are so unique in their writing that we simply recognize them from the rest.
To cut a long story short, writing an essay is quite challenging. But you shouldn't worry, because we are here to help you. Our professional writers are at your disposal in time of need. Whatever type of essay you have to deal with, just let us know the requirements and we will do our best in order for you to get your piece of writing perfectly done. Contact us any time for more information about our service.